If you are an avid racer, or just getting in to running, you have probably already noticed there are LOTS of 5k race options out there at the beginning of every year. I have been getting several emails about them, so I though it would be easiest for me to summarize them in one post to help spread the word. This list is only 5ks within 50 minutes of us. There are of course other 5k options further away.
- 02/08 - Run for the Roses (Raleigh) - Valentine theme race with a couples option and also a "pump-n-run".
- 02/14 - Sweetheart (Rocky Mount) - Maybe you have heard about this one?
- 02/21 - Tennis Shoes for Africa (Rocky Mount) - New off road race at Wesleyan.
- 02/28 - Polar Plunge (Raleigh) - Race includes an optional plunge in to Lake Raleigh (Brrrr)
- 02/28 - Lace up for a Cure (Greenville) - New event to raise money for a Relay for Life team.
- 03/28 - Raleigh Rocks (Raleigh) - There is a 5k that goes with the Half Marathon (which is on a new course in 2009)
- 04/04 - Moving for Community Outreach (Tarboro) - Fun race. 1st year had 100 runners and all RMEC runners placed. Close by, and worth supporting.
- 04/18 - Pirate Alumni (Greenville) - 2nd year event. Out and back course in Greenville. Wear your purple!
- 04/25 - Operation Sunshine (Greenville) - New cross country event put on by the ECU running club. They really helped support Medoc with runners. Let's return the favor!
I know being a club full of marathoners we don't always run 5ks, but I hope you will consider some of these. It is nice to get out and support the local running communities while having a good time with friends. Everyone should get in a few 5ks a year!